<$BlogRSDURL$>
Becky Turtle
Wednesday, April 14, 2004
 
I forgot that I drunk-dialed Ethan last night and must have told him that I was having fun with this blog. He emailed me this morning and told me I need to link to other lawyer blogs. He sent me a bunch of sites that he found that I thought he would like. I haven't read them all yet but most of them are boring. This one's pretty cool -- it's a young litigator and he tells it like it is. I like what he says about not being afraid to look stupid. That's not just true with the lawyers you're working with. You have to be able to tell the client you don't know the answer to a question they have. Even harder than that is asking the client for clarification of something the client assumes you know. But you'd better speak up, interrupt and say, "Wait a minute, I'm a step behind you here, could you tell me why we're talking about the Series B investors in connection with this?" It feels horrible the first few times you have to do that. But it's a lot better to have done that than to be reporting on the call to the partner in charge of the deal and have him look at you and ask the question that you should have asked and you admit you don't know. Invariably the question you get is, "Why didn't you ask?" That's when you feel stupid.

For general corporate law stuff this blog is good too. Ethan got all excited about this one as well, but Ethan's more of a geek than I am.

Ethan says he's going to come by this weekend and install a hit counter for me. Cool. It's wierd to think about people actually reading this though.
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger